Saturday, November 15, 2014

What Is American Food....

Have you ever thought about what makes food "American"? More importantly is there really such thing as "American" food anymore.

I am sitting here having breakfast this morning and looking at what is in my neighborhood.you have my work that has a heavy Mediterranean influence, there are several Mexican restaurants and Indian restaurant. Do not forget the restaurant that is called and "American bistro" that has a huge freaking menu (I really hate huge menus).

There are things that are very much American staples; Chicago style hot dog, a proper lobster roll, shrimp & grits, brisket from Texas (I want to visit Franklins). But I grew up in California where it is a very different world.

I think California is an interesting place when you are looking at food culture because throughout history it has seen some of the heaviest migration of so many different cultures. A perfect example is Fresno,Ca has the biggest Hmong community on the entire west coast (some say in the country).

Think about it where did Kogi start....California!

So as I wrap up this post think about where you live: the communities, the culture and the food. Trust me if you look beyond the bright lights of Red Lobster,Olive Garden and Pzza Hut....you will not be dissapointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment