Monday, March 26, 2012

I like beer, but this one had me scratching my head!! Voodoo Doughnut Ale

As a kid I grew up watching to movie "Strange Brew" and there were always jokes about beer and doughnuts. When I heard about the Voodoo Doughnuts Ale I had to try it. I started sending out e-mails on Facebook to anyone I knew up in the Portland area figuring there had to be one person who could get me a bottle of this strange concoction.

On St.Patrick's Day I walked into a the local Whole Foods and as I am purchasing my pack of Murphy's Irish Ale I turn around to see this pepto-pink bottle labeled  ROGUE Voodoo Doughnuts Ale.

So today I went back to pick up some stuff for dinner and it was calling my name and this time I could not pass it up. The problem was that I put it in the fridge to get a chill on it and more importantly to get the guts up to crack it open.

Pulled it out of the fridge cracked it open and  and poured some in a glass for my wife and all I got was this sweet scent of maple. I finally take a drink and swish it around in my mouth like some snooty beer connoisseur.

I am a fan of many of the beers that ROGUE puts out, but this is one that has left me scratching my head. I went into this beer with an open mind but unfortunately left with a weird taste in my mouth. You can tastte the maple, the smoke from the hops and the hint of bacon.

As I was reading up on Voodoo Doughnuts Ale they obviously encourage pairing with pork and doughnuts. I got to thinking about how this works with pancakes or waffles.

I am glad I got my hands on a bottle of this and gave it a try but unfortunately the more I had to drink the more I have found it as a beer that I will not have again.

I do have to thank ROGUE for thinking out of the box!!

No comments:

Post a Comment