Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pork Belly...What to do with it!!

    So recently my father-in-law was involved with the butchering of a 350 pound pig (do not ask the kind of pig because I have no idea). With him slaughtering the pig meant he got half the pig and I made sure I got a few pounds of the belly.Cut the skin off of it and put the pork on hamburgers.

  If you are looking for pork belly you may have to search for it. I found it originally at a carniceria. I was able to get it with the skin on but you can ask the butcher to cut the skin off.

    I got my hands on curing salt (yes it came from William-Sonoma and no they did not appreciate the bags of change!). I have learned that if you do not have curing salt you can used kosher salt. I have found curing salt is not as east to find as you would think.

   So I started digging around my cupbourds to see what I had for my rub. So I made a rub of brown sugar, Hawaiian pink salt, black peppercorns, dry mustard (for a little spice) and bay leaves.
    
After putting the dry rub on I bagged and tagged it and stuck it in the bottom drawer of the fidge for the the next 7 days.......To be continued in 7 days!.

   If you read this and have attempted to cure pork let me know....any ideas or advice post comments!!

3 lbs of pork belly
Curing salt or you can use Kosher salt


Experiment,experiment,Experiment!!


Bagged and Tagged for the next 7 days

No comments:

Post a Comment