Friday, September 16, 2011

Todays thought

So I am new to the whole food blog trend and am still trying to make heads and tails of what to put in as content so please be patient. In the mean time here is a question. "Is culinary school really worth the time and more importantly money you are going to spend/ Or is it better to work your way up the ranks in a place you want to be?"

 This has actually been something I have thought long and hard about. I personally have a history in the kitchen but I left thinking I was making a better decision for my family (think i was wrong).The last chef I worked for was not a "classically trained" chef but he is damn good. The employer before that was trained with many years under his belt and involved in the culinary program at the community college in the city I was living in at the time. They were both great employers.

Now the reason for this question. The other day I am sitting outside the DMV with Lindsee (my oldest daughter) and there is a guy wearing his coat from the cullicary school in Fresno and I star asking him about the shcool and he was saying his hope was to become and head chef somewhere but was working at the Hilton in there kitchen making fruit platters...FRUIT PLATTERS! I do not want to spend 25 grand to make a fruit platter. Do not get my wrong I know you have to do the time after you get out of school but to be doing something that a off the street employee with basic kitchen experience can do is a bit on the lame side. You might as well start as a dishwasher (which I did!).

This is just a thought...if you disagree then let me know....I like to get hate mail!!

No comments:

Post a Comment