Saturday, February 11, 2012

24 Hours in the city of Angels

MV INK.SACK
   So Friday morning the wife and I got into Los Angeles to early to check into our hotel room and several hours before she was going to get her hair done so we got back in the car and headed straight towards Melrose Avenue so we could have lunch at INK.Sack. This is a sandwich shop that is owned by Micheal Voltaggio and it is actually on the same block as INK. The shop is open from 11 am-8 pm. Menu is simple to read so you are not left trying to figure out what you are ordering. I ordered the Spicy Tuna sandwich and a bag of Maryland Crab Chips. I look forward to going back to and try The Jose Andres.
Spicy Ahi Tuna and  Crap Chips


Around 5:30 we got on the road towards Santa Ana for dinner at The Planground in downtown Santa Ana. The Playground is owned by Jason Quinn. You may remember him from season 2 of The Great Food Truck Race with his truck The Lime Truck. For dinner Beth had the burger that was not even on the menu and I had Pork Bolognese with Crispy Polenta. They have a great beer selection that is filled with local and regional brewers. The food was really good and it is a cool restaurant. If you plan on checking it out make a reservation....Trust me!!


   Got up this morning walked down to the Starbucks down the street from the hotel, checked out and we headed to DTLA so we could go to the Farmers Market and see the Sur La Table (so rad!!). This is what a farmers market should be!! There were places to eat, meat to purchase (I counted 3 meat counters), fruits and vegetables and several specialty markets. I was blown away and plan to bring a cooler with me next time so I can get some stuff to take home with me.


Lavender Honey Biscuit
Ludo Truck
   Last stop of the day....LUNCH TIME!!! So before I left for LA I knew one thing I wanted to do was find the Ludo Truck and that is what we did!!! It was not super easy to find becuase it was tucked back off from the street. The Ludo Truck is owned by Chef Ludo Lefebvre and it kind of changed the way I view fast food chicken (screw you KFC). I ordered the Messy Po Boy and Beth had the Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich with spicy coleslaw and pickles. I got lucky because I got the last the last Po' Boy. Oh yeah and do not forget to try the Honey Lavender Biscuit...Holy crap!! For a french dude he's got a good grip on southern food.

Messy Shrimp Po' Boy

   I got the opportunity to not only spend some well needed time with my wife but got to me a couple of very talented chefs (Micheal Voltaggio and Jason Quinn) ate some good food and was a bit overwhelmed by Amoeba Records (but left with a couple of gems!).

   Next trip we take the kids!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment