Monday, February 6, 2012

Food and your kids

So  am a dad of two daughters and today I got to thinking about the importance of not only getting your kids active in the kitchen but showing real interest in food.

The first kid to spend time in the kitchen was Daisy as she started to show interest in baking. We bought her an Ace of Cakes book a couple of off beat cookbooks and my mom had purchased her a cupcake cookbook. For my birthday one year I got a copy of Momofuku and Daisy fell in love with that book because she loves ramen. Daisy and I have now made our own dashi broth and ramen broth.

Lindsee is our oldest and I think the day I took her Ye Olde Kings head in Santa Monica I think something clicked. She crashes at my mom and dad's house during the week since she is going to City College and has started to show interest in cooking for herself. I bought her the Bitchin' Kitchen Cookbook for Christmas and today her and I made a trip to the fish market where she got stuff to make Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake) and has asked me to buy her a rice cooker.

Both of the kids want me to take em to LA for a food truck meet up, which I am more then happy to do with them!!

My point is this....food is an awesome way to spend time with your kids. Teach em to cook. Teach em where there food comes from and more importantly teach them to be open and adventurous about what is out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment